Discovery, Discussion, Demonstration
8:30 – 9:15
Strategies for teaching web research. Getting kids beyond the first pages of Google results.
- Click here for the search challenge activities
- Share your search challenge on this Padlet wall
9:15 – 10:00
Leveraging social media for research. Organizing and sharing search results.
Strategies for facilitating conversation with students, parents, and other stakeholders through the use of blogs and social media.
- Blogs & social media for teachers and school leaders.
- Three goals for classroom blogs.
- Social media tools & strategies:
- Direct outreach:
Online tools for developing and distributing engaging formative assessments.
2:00pm – 3:00pm
Publishing audio and video projects.
- My Name Is Michael – A student video created with iMovie
- The Black Death in 90 Seconds – A “flipped lesson” created with iMovie
- Create a video to teach a short lesson. Your lesson does not have to be instructional (how to, “just the facts”) in nature. It could be a lesson about treating others with respect, think about the lesson in My Name Is Michael.
Tools for making videos.
- Animoto & Stupeflix
- WeVideo / iMovie / Windows Movie Maker
- JellyCam / Osnap
- Wideo.co / Powtoon
- YouTube Editing Tools
- Knowmia Teach / ShowMe /
- Tellagami – Available for iPad & Android devices.
- PixiClip – an online whiteboard video creation tool.
Tools for making audio recordings:
- Tutorials for audio editing tools.